Friday, April 6, 2007

Eyes the B'y

So I picked up a Canon SD1000 digital still camera from Best Buy for my friends, and I was playing around with it last night to check out its new features. Aside from being generally impressed by it (in particular, the low-light performance), one feature that caught my eye was its facial recognition system. Basically, the camera analyzes whatever it's looking at and tracks any faces it finds in the viewfinder in real time. Naturally, myself and Jon had to try to see if we could fool it, but despite our best efforts... well, the data will tell the tale:

No:




Nope:



Adding a third dimension didn't seem to help:



Despite Jon's lovely artwork, still no luck:





At this point, I don't know how we can get much more human:




Apparently this only counts in Doonesbury land:




Still nothing:




Failure, despite the expert addition of some skin tone and facial features:



Success!


So it would seem that Canon did their homework on the facial recognition algorithm. Kudos, Cannon. Kudos.

No comments: